April 26, 2011

How I'm feeling...

So I've been working out solidly for about 7 weeks now. The original goal was to lose some weight, tone up and just generally feel better. The other goal was to look good since I'm headed home to see family for the first time since having Santi a year ago. Let's face it, that was the primary goal. The other stuff is secondary.

So I started going to Stroller Strides back at the beginning of March, and have been going consistently about 4 days a week. Recently, I've amped it up and have been going 5 days a week. Each class is an hour long and there are strength training exercises with resistance bands, squats, cardio bursts and ab work. In between each station where we do this, there is either "walking with intent" or running. I've chosen to run each time usually. And I've also been participating in Running Club, with the goal of running my second 10k on Mother's Day.

At this point, I've maybe lost 5lbs. But I feel fantastic. I'm definitely noticing changes in my body, such as tighter abs, definition in my upper abs, tons of definition in my thighs and calves, and more defined arms and shoulders. My clothes are fitting better, and are looser. I have more stamina when it comes to working out (I did Zumba the other night with Tito and while I'm usually winded after doing a Zumba DVD, I was feeling really good at the end of it and not really tired at all.) And I ran 6.5 miles on Saturday (we were scheduled to run 6 miles in training for the 10k, but I did a bit more) and the whole time, in addition to singing along to my playlist on my Ipod, I kept thinking how proud I was of myself. And I was in amazement of my body.

To think that a year ago, I was recovering from a c-section and second major surgery to repair a bleeding artery, and that 5 months after that, I was in the hospital, having had my 3rd heart attack (albeit a teeny tiny one like the other two!) It's amazing that I'm working out every day. It's amazing that I'm running a 10k and basically did that on Saturday. It's amazing that I'm thinking about possibly running a half marathon (13 miles) this summer. Our bodies are amazing in their ability to recover from trauma, and not remember the pain that we have gone through. And to put them through more pain through working out and running!

So what are YOU doing to work out and make yourself feel better? Because really, that's all that it's about - not a number on the scale (which is just a number.) It's not what the scale says,  but how you feel about yourself. Spring is here, so let's get moving!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you thinking about doing the Rock-n-Roll?

Anonymous said...

Thank you!! Just the motivation I needed!

Unknown said...

Erin - I'm thinking about it! My plan is to continue to train and then decide at the end of next month. If I have to walk part of it, I'm ok with that too, but it'd be nice to do. Rock N Roll sounds like a good race to do with plenty of distractions at each mile (I have an issue running too long because I get bored even with music on.) So we'll see!

Kirsten said...

I'm so impressed with everything you're doing! You're one of my motivators with all the work I've been doing. I've lost about 18 pounds in the last month and am exercising regularly and it feels so great!

Keep up the good work! We're proud of you!