April 20, 2011

I *Heart* the Public Library

I love reading. I've had less time to do it since becoming a mom (mostly because I'm just too tired at the end of the day) but I'm making a conscious effort to turn off the tv more (that's what a DVR is for, right?) and read books again. Since we're on a budget now, I'm trying to lose my "I want it now" impulse and instead of going out to buy a book I want to read, or buying it on Amazon (with free next day shipping), I'm using the library more. This is also good because a lot of these books, I don't know if I'm going to like, and if I hate the book, I don't want to be stuck with it.

So our library has a request system, where I can go online, type in most any title and I can request they send it to my library, all from the comfort of my couch. They even allow you to see how many people are ahead of you in line to get the book, making the decision to get it through the library or not easier. Tonight, I logged on and reserved these titles:

Poser: My Life in Twenty-Three Yoga Poses by Claire Dederer - this was recommended to me by a friend who said it was great, so I will see.

Bossypants by Tina Fey - I've been waiting to read this book because I love her. However, since I'm pretty far down on the list, I think I might end up buying it..or borrowing from someone!

The Book of Awesome: Snow Days, Bakery Air, Finding Money in Your Pocket, and other Simple, Brilliant Things by Neil Pasricha - I saw this recommended on Like A Hamster On A Wheel, and loved the review, so I'm hoping it's good!

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake : A Novel by Aimee Bender - Another recommendation from Like A Hamster On A Wheel

Time of My Life : A Novel by Allison Winn Scotch - Another recommendation from Like A Hamster On A Wheel

Tales of a Female Nomad : Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman - Another recommendation from Like A Hamster On A Wheel

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs - Another recommendation from Like A Hamster On A Wheel

Run Like a Mother : How to Get Moving-- and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity by Dimity McDowell - I've heard a lot of good about this book, and since I'm getting back into running, I thought that this would be good inspiration for me!





  
I also requested these Jodi Picoult books - Sing You Home, House Rules and Plain Truth (I've been reading Jodi Picoult for awhile and like her stuff.

And I also requested Jennifer Weiner's Best Friends Forever, Fly Away Home and Then Came You.



I will definitely be busy, but I read pretty quickly, plus we have a trip coming up where I hope to get some reading done as well (Santi will sleep on the plane at some point so hopefully I can read then?) :)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I have Run Like a Mother on my Kindle. It had some funny parts and I could totally relate to both authors. A dose of inspiration for me!