April 14, 2011

Work it out...

Our days have been pretty blah around here lately. Lots of rain and grey skies, so not a whole lot of opportunity to get out and go to parks or even just walk around. We do manage to get out of the house though, although most of the time, we're heading out to do errands, but we also head out at least 4 times a week to Stroller Strides, which is a fitness program I joined about a year ago after Santi was born. Back then he was such a little guy, in his Snap and Go stroller, mostly either sleeping through class while I worked out doing cardio work or resistance band exercises. Now, he's a bigger guy and generally likes hanging in his stroller while I work out. He has even accompanied me on some runs.

I had to take a hiatus from Stroller Strides when I was working for about 5 months, and I missed it. I've been back since February and since the beginning of March have been going consistently about 4-5 times a week. My intention was to get out of the house, get to exercise, and get Santi to meet some other kids his age and interact with them. Along the way, I joined the Running Club through my branch of Stroller Strides, and even though I haven't been able to make it to all of the group runs, I've been able to make it to many of them and I'm already pleased with the progress I've made from the last running club I did. I will be running a 10k on May 8 (Mother's Day!) with my fellow Running Clubers, and it'll be a great day for sure!

I've also been happy to be back at Stroller Strides because it's helping me accomplish my goals of not only getting into better shape but losing some weight as well. I'm already at a lower weight than I was pre-pregnancy, but things shift when you get pregnant, so I'm working to shift them back! After only a few weeks, my clothes started fitting better, and I've definitely lost inches on my hips and waist. And I'm gaining muscle in my arms and shoulders that I've never had before! I know that continuing to go will help me get into the best shape I've ever been, as well as prepare my body for the hardest journey ever - getting pregnant with baby #2 (of which we're currently working on.)

So here's Santi at Stroller Strides this morning - it was a chilly morning, but he was all bundled up as we headed outside (thankfully it wasn't raining!)


1 comment:

Kirsten said...

That picture was too freaking cute!

I wish we had something like stroller strides around here, but most of the other womene I see walking with their kids have cigarettes hanging out of their mouths and their pants falling of their butts. Ugh. And it's not like we live in a gross town. I just don't get it!