March 7, 2010

37 weeks! Full Term!

How Far Along: 37 weeks and 4 days (17 days to go!)

What "They" Say About Our Baby's Development:

How your baby's growing: Congratulations — your baby is full term! This means that if your baby arrives now, his lungs should be fully mature and ready to adjust to life outside the womb, even though your due date is still three weeks away. Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel. Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.


Mama: Braxton Hicks contractions may be coming more frequently now and may last longer and be more uncomfortable. Be sure to ask your caregiver about the results of your Group B strep culture. That way, if the result isn't yet on your chart when you get to the hospital or birth center, you'll be able to give the staff there a timely heads-up if you need antibiotics. It may be harder than ever to get comfortable enough to sleep well at night. If you can, take it easy through the day — this may be your last chance to do so for quite a while. Keep monitoring your baby's movements, too, and let your caregiver know immediately if you notice a decrease. Though his quarters are getting cozy, he should still be as active as before. While you're sleeping, you're likely to have some intense dreams. Anxiety both about labor and about becoming a parent can fuel a lot of strange flights of unconscious fancy.

Weekly Food Comparison: A stalk of Swiss chard

The Good: Installed the car seat, and spent some time walking with Tito in the 60 degree, sunshiny weather!


The Bad: More contractions, and more foot swelling


The Weird: Feeling his arms, legs and bum in hard little knots on my stomach. His movement after I eat or drink anything sugary or spicy... :)


Currently Craving/Avoiding:

Avoiding: Not really avoiding anything...other than big meals. I feel full so fast now!

Craving: Water or just drinks in general...I'm so thirsty all the time!


Doctor Updates:
Saw the doctor last Monday and I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced. She was very excited and kept saying my cervix was "very favorable." She kept mentioning it and was super excited so as she left the room and said it once again I told her I was very proud of myself! :) I'm seeing her again tomorrow and we'll see if I've made any more progress!


Total weight gain/loss: 32 lbs. - which is right on target for where the doc said I should be.

Maternity clothes?
Yes...squeezed into a non-maternity top last week which fit but caused a lot of people to mention how much I was "popping" (I'm 9 months pregnant, I have nothing to do but pop!) or for the woman in my complex office to say "wow, you're HUGE!" I let it go and didn't ask her what her excuse was as she was obviously not pregnant, but definitely a large person. Why is it that people think it's acceptable to comment on how "big" you are when you're pregnant??


Stretch marks?
Ah, probably a few more than I can see. However, I'm swearing by the Palmer's Cream. It doesn't make them go away completely, but it definitely makes them less apparent. So instead of large red lines on my tummy (still low!), I have to squint to see if they're there. They will hopefully fade fast and be nothing but a pregnancy memory in a few months.

Sleep: Pregnancy insomnia - waking up at 3:30am and 4:30am consistently without being able to get back to sleep. I'm not used to this, so it's wreaking a little havoc my work days.

Best moment this week:
Finishing up some shopping and stocking up on supplies. Also installing the car seat, and having the bags ready to go.

Movement:
Constantly


Labor Signs: Practice contractions

Belly Button in or out?
I think it's officially "out"


What I miss:
Not having heartburn


What I am looking forward to:
Doctor's appointment this week to see if I'm dilated any more...and planning when this little guy will be making his arrival into the world!



The Weekly Belly Bump: 37 week and 4 day photos!

This belly is big from the side...you can see a little how this guy has "dropped"...
I can certainly feel it!

And the belly is larger from the front!




1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I had a professor while I was pregnant who talked to me all the time about all the physical changes I was going through, about about getting bigger and all that. It was so weird, mostly because it was my MALE German professor. The major downside to pregnancy is that it's very public and everyone thinks they have ownership over pregnant women and can say and do what they want (like touch your belly and ask weird questions about your boobs).

I hope the rest of the world has more tact, because you don't look huge, you look like a cute pregnant lady!