March 24, 2010

So they got the blood cultures back and he has an infection in his bloodstream. They think basically it's something I got that couldn't help, and didn't affect me because I have an immune system, and he ended up getting it when it crossed the bloodstream. They are thinking it's listeria, or in that same family. They are currently ruling out all other things though, including meningitis, so the poor guy had to have a spinal tap done this afternoon. The plan is to put him on a 14 day course of antibiotics and keep him in the NICU and then we can take him home.

The good news is that he's regulating his body temp and somewhat his blood sugars now. I've had a lot of chances to go up and just hold him, attempt to breastfeed, etc. He latches so well, like a little pro! We're breastfeeding or pumping every three hours to stimulate my milk to come in. Nothing yet, but we'll continue to pump when I go home and bring that milk with us for him to have. Right now we're opting for an occasional bottle but they are giving him the Dextrose, so that helps give him some "food" for now. We're also trying to stay away from the paci at this point just if we can.

I am feeling better. This is a very trying time for us as a couple, and it's hard to look and see your husband upset and cry when he's normally so strong. It's hard to see this little boy who is so helpless. But we're feeling confident in his docs and their decisions. And that he'll be fine once he's done with the antibiotics. I can't believe he's only been here a little over 24 hours - he's so amazing and we're so in love with him already. Tito's getting diaper practice, and I'm getting my breastfeeding practice. I'd have to say the best moment today was nursing him and then holding him skin to skin in the NICU for over an hour. All I could do was stare at him and stroke his hair, his hands, etc. I felt like I could fall asleep like that and almost did! :)

I was able to walk around our unit today without too much pain. I'm eating again, and the pain is tolerable. It's hard not to be able to use your abs for anything. I'm tolerating the pain with only Tylenol at this point, which is good because I don't really want to be on narcotics. They're thinking I might go home Thursday or maybe Friday.

So things are still a bit crazy, but we're hoping the antibiotics help and we'll be able to take him home in about a week and a half. And we finally uploaded some more pictures!



Welcome to the world Santiago!




Getting weighed



Daddy and Santi



Mommy and Santi



Tiny baby footprints!



First bath



Getting his hair washed



Bath time



Me and my boy... :)

No comments: