March 14, 2010

Baby update...still waiting...

Having a baby when you have coronary aneurysms is never the same as it is for anyone else. :) We are still in the hospital. Yesterday was a day of giving me heparin all day to get my blood clotting levels to therapeutic (I'm wondering if it would have been better for me to get the Heparin earlier last week like I'd asked but they insisted I could wait until Friday to get the prescription...they didn't expect me to come in with high blood pressure/pre-eclampsia.) So we hung around all day yesterday. Got to take some naps, rest, etc. The magnesium was really bothering me and gave me a killer headache. They gave me some Oxycodone and two doses of Tylenol that didn't even touch it. So finally last night, since my BP's had stabilized, they took me off of it. And they took me off the baby monitors because our little guy has looked great. So I was able to sleep pretty well last night. They didn't come in and check my vitals until 6am so it was probably the last night that that will happen for awhile. :)

So this morning, my doctor came in (apparently he doesn't work on Sundays but he came in for me.) :) So he said that my blood clotting levels were good, and they were starting me on Cervidil (apparently he doesn't like giving women the Foley because he feels it leaves women open for infection if you're already dilated. I've heard pros and cons on both, but I trust him 100% so I'm going with what he says.) So they just put the Cervidil in about 30 minutes ago. I get it out at 11:45pm, and then we'll see what my progress is. He said he'd do a 2nd round if we needed it. He is making this a slow induction because he really doesn't want to make my heart stress over this. So slow and steady wins the race in our case.

It's all been fine so far. We've been napping a lot, resting, watching tv, playing on the computer (good thing I grabbed it from work before I was leaving...all we need to worry about now is getting it back but my replacement has a computer she can use in the interim.) The worst part so far has been the magnesium, which I'm off now, and the doc who put the Cervidil in (not my doc but one of the attendings)...who had the world's largest fingers, and I think he was going for a record and used all four on one hand to insert the Cervidil. Not pleasant. Although I realize a whole lot more pleasant than what lies ahead for me. We're hoping it works and then they'll start me on Pitocin. They'll keep me on Heparin to keep my blood clotting levels therapeutic, then I'll need to come off of it in order to get the epidural (in which there is a 4 hour window where the Heparin clears my system and I can get the epi) where I will probably be the most uncomfortable of all (although they said that they can give me some narcotics if I need them.) After that they'll give me the epi and we'll have the baby.

So this is a long process, but I'd rather be here in the hospital being watched (my BP's have been slightly elevated since I've been here a few times, and my doc said that if they'd waited until next week for my body to do this naturally, that they could have been dangerously high.) So we wait. Our little boy seems content where he is but he will be evicted soon, so we're hoping he likes it here on the outside with us as much as we're going to like having him here. :)

No comments: