March 24, 2010

Repost from another journal, originally posted on March 19:

Update on me: So I made it through the night with no major complications, which I'm happy about. I've been up since 6am and been pumping or breastfeeding every three hours. I've walked around a bit, gotten to take a shower, and am working out some of the kinks of being so stiff and sore. I got both of my IV's out thankfully so I'm starting to feel more human. I feel pretty miserable overall when I first move. But after that it's ok. My incision is hurting quite a bit and I hate it when the nurses sometimes decide to press on it. Coupled with the lovely wound vac I have and I'm really sexy right now. :)

Update on Santiago: They grew out his bacterial culture even more and now they aren't sure it's Listeria. They think it is in the bacillus family, and all they have ruled out is that it's not Anthrax (good to know!) In doing some research though, the bacillus family also causes Staph, so I'm wondering if that's what it is. Additionally, they were saying today that it could have been a contaminated sample but they are still treating him anyway since he was so symptomatic. His blood sugars are currently staying up on their own and his body temp is 100% regulated on his own. They are constantly saying that he's a "big boy" and he's basically charmed all of the NICU nurses, which we don't disagree with since we're pretty in love with him too. :)

My doc said he thinks I can go home Sunday or Monday. In the beginning when the baby was doing well, he was going to release me earlier and get my blood thinning med levels stabilized at home. Now, since the baby is in the hospital, he knows we'd rather be near him and not have to visit everyday, so he's keeping me in and adjusting my levels so that I'll be therapeutic when I go home and hopefully we won't have too long away from the baby.

Tito has been amazing throughout all of this. Being that he has to run back and forth between me and the baby in the NICU (thankfully only 1 floor apart), he's been the one who has to change a lot of diapers alone (he's been volunteering for this), checking Santi's temps, feeding him if I can't get up there, holding him, spending time with him and going to rounds to hear his prognosis. I'm truly amazed at how wonderful he is as a dad. In the beginning he was nervous about holding Santi, breaking him, patting him too hard on the back when burping him, etc. Now, after only 4 days, he's so good at everything! When he holds Santi you can see the love in his eyes. He helps me get Santi into place for breastfeeding since it's hard for me to move around much with my incision and all of my equipment. When I'm holding Santi and breastfeeding him, all I do is stare at him and watch his little face. He will essentially instantly fall asleep after latching but keeps feeding. He then decides when he's done and will "pop off" and lay his head to rest on me. And then I just stare at him more and more. Sometimes I'll look up and will see Tito looking at us and smiling. He said he loves how patient I am with Santi (since he's going right now between bottle feeding with formula, breastfeeding and breastmilk in a bottle so sometimes he's a little frustrated when he first starts to latch on me but once he gets it, he really gets it.) :)

Other than that, we're just waiting for all of us to come home and for things to return to "normal" life with our baby. We're hoping that will be very soon.

No comments: