February 2, 2010

So I had my follow up appointment today after my hospital stay last week. Had my first of my now-weekly NST's (yup, starting my weekly appointments at 32 weeks instead of 36!) and an ultracomm (which measures my cardiac output and blood flow.)

Baby cooperated (after a hard time getting him to sit still for them to get him on the monitor) and we had 20 minutes of nice accelerated heart rates and NO decels. :) My ultracomm was good too and I had lower output (which is good in my case) and I was within normal limits. Went in to see my doc and he read the ultrasound I had last week. Said the baby's head was measuring a week ahead, which he said is fine and then he said that the baby's abdomen is measuring a week behind. So I asked him if I should be concerned and he said I should go off of one of my meds twice a day and take it only once a day because it can interfere with growth and could cause smaller babies. So he thinks it may clear up on its own. And he said if not, that a week behind wasn't really concerning, that it basically just meant this little guy is skinny. (Which I think might be genetic from me since I was a skinny baby and my brothers were too....my mom said with my older brother that he was 6 months old before he weighed 10 lbs!) And he said there's nothing to be concerned about his organs not growing correctly, etc or being affected once he's born, that it literally meant he was skinny (right now he's in the 48th percentile of weight.) So I felt ok with that.

So now I am going once a week for appointments and NST's. Doctor said that I didn't need to be concerned about having a preemie, since he felt very confident I'd go to term. I asked him about steroid injections for the baby's lungs and he said that the risks far outweighed the benefits in my case since he felt really confident the baby would be term and not early. So that made me feel good too. He said I'm definitely going to be induced so there's just as much control over the situation as possible. He was leaning towards more around 38 weeks to induce. He said if he had to he could induce me at 37 weeks but he'd watch me and see where my body was at. He said he'd be surprised if I made it to 40 weeks.

So it looks like this kiddo will most likely be a Pisces rather than an Aries! Which according to the zodiac sign mean he would be inclined to be: compassionate, adaptable, accepting, devoted, and imaginative. So we'll see! I can't believe he could very realistically be here in 5 - 6 weeks...seems like such a short amount of time!

My plan has always been to be "ready" with work projects finished, etc. the first week of March just in case...my doctor told me today to keep that as my plan.

1 comment:

siiilllygirl said...

Omg, sooo soon!!! I am so happy for you three!!! Please don't forget to update us with everything that happens. I wish you the very best!! You will be an AMAZING mother ;)