September 10, 2009

12 week update

How Far Along: 12 weeks (196 more to go!)


What "They" Say About Our Baby's Development: The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, its toes will curl, its eye muscles will clench, and its mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. Its intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into its abdominal cavity about now, and its kidneys will begin excreting urine into its bladder. Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. Its face looks unquestionably human: Its eyes have moved from the sides to the front of its head, and its ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.

Weekly Food Comparison: A lime! Yummy!

The Good: Saw the baby this week! Moving around and squirming like crazy! I was able to see the baby's heart rate this week (163 bpm) although we couldn't hear it with the doppler. My doc said that the baby was probably deeper inside than the Doppler could hear. Hopefully next time! Have found some foods to help me with nausea. Almost to the end of the first trimester!

The Bad: Nausea is still here. Hoping this will be my last week. Also very tired, and I usually go to bed between 8pm and 9pm now.


The Weird: My sense of smell seems to have ramped up again. Bad things smell really bad to me and I can smell them long after I've been around them, like the smell sticks to me.


Currently Craving/Avoiding:

Avoiding: String cheese (the site of it still makes me sick), super greasy foods.

Craving: Veggies (other than green peppers), water, sour things (sour Lemonhead candies are awesome), pickles, cucumbers.


Doctor Updates:
I went to have another ultrasound and first round of genetic testing done on Tuesday. I had the ultrasound first and saw the little one in there moving around like crazy. A couple of times the baby dragged its hand around and it was so neat to see 5 perfect little fingers and a perfect little hand. I cried (as usual) during the ultrasound because I'm emotional but also because it was just so amazing to see. You can see ultrasounds online and other people's but when it's your own it truly takes your breath away. We go back in another 3.5 weeks for the next round of tests and hopefully can hear the heartbeat on the Doppler. And then two weeks after that, we go in for another ultrasound to see the gender. I'm banking on "girl", as at the ultrasound last week there was a pretty good "money shot" and no boy parts to be seen. And I've felt it was a girl since the beginning. So we'll see if I'm right! Until then, Tito is still referring to the baby as "he" when he talks about it.


The Weekly Belly Bump: Still about the same. But I'm definitely close to busting out of my regular pants. I bought two pairs of maternity pants this past week and they are SO comfortable. Still a little loose, but I'm sure not for long!

I still owe the 11 week photo in the last post but here's the 12 week. You can see the left over bruises from my shots. Not the best shot but it shows theres been some growth this week! And yes, I'm wearing maternity jeans. None of my other jeans fit me now (they won't even button and the pair I tried on this morning won't zip!)



No comments: