December 15, 2009

Passed!

I had my gestational diabetes screening the morning. Normally I love having early morning appointments because it means I don't get stuck there for too long if my doc runs behind. For that reason alone, it was good this morning. But having an 8:30am appointment meant I had to leave the house at 7am (lovely Seattle area traffic) and drink my lovely Glucola drink (read: sweetest soda ever...tastes like liquid candy) on the way in in about 5 minutes time. I had no choice in flavors, so was stuck with Orange. Which is my least favorite flavor of drink in normal life. But I sucked it up and drank it down. The end of the bottle was the worst part...just like a syrup, so gross.

I then had to sit in traffic for the rest of the hour with a somewhat upset stomach. Made it to the hospital on time, got my blood drawn (apparently one of the tops of the blood draw tubes was leaky and resulted in a "blood bath" in the container they were all being held in. I'd had 7 tubes of blood drawn, so I stuck around just in case they needed more. Apparently they didn't. :)

Made it to my doctor's office (right down the hall from the lab) and had my ultracomm, which measures my cardiac output, blood pressure, etc. My numbers were up from last time just a little bit, and my flow was off the charts again. So he increased one of my medications just a little bit. Hopefully it doesn't make me feel dizzy and lightheaded all the time like it did before. He measured my uterus and said I'm measuring two weeks ahead right now...hopefully this stops as I don't want too big of a baby in there! We'll see in two weeks how the growth is going as I have another ultrasound. He said it was encouraging to hear that I could feel the baby move around and kick all the time. Sign of a healthy baby. We heard the heartbeat again (nice and steady) and heard several "kicks" and movement when he was listening to the heartbeat. Apparently this baby wanted to make sure we knew he was in there!

I also had a contraction while I was laying on the table - I didn't feel it but the doc put my hand on my stomach to show me how it was hardening in a round ball. I told him I'd felt that before and he said it was normal - Braxton Hicks contractions. He said if I feel more than 6 an hour to let him know.

At the end of the appointment, after me asking some questions, he went and got my GD test results - which were perfect! He said they were well below the 130 that they use as a guideline, so I don't have to do a repeat test and don't have GD. Thankfully, we're celebrating my brother's birthday tonight, so I can enjoy that piece of cake!

No comments: