December 4, 2009

24 weeks!

How Far Along: 24 weeks (112 more days to go!) This has always been the "magic week" for me in my mind. At 24 weeks, the baby is considered "viable" meaning if it had to, it could survive outside of the womb (with medical intervention and assistance.) Prior to this week, I had been told if I had come in with heart issues, the doctors would help me only and not take precautions of giving medication which could harm the baby. Now, they'd treat us both. Not that he's going to be making an early appearance! He still has some cooking to do!


What "They" Say About Our Baby's Development: Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long, he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

Weekly Food Comparison: An ear of corn...yummy!

The Good: This little guy is destined to be a dancer, soccer player or something involving his legs/feet because he is a very strong kicker! When he kicks higher on my stomach I can very clearly see it.


The Bad:
Dizziness, Braxton Hicks contractions...only noticeable a few times but my stomach gets really hard and sometimes there's a little cramping. Nothing painful, just a nuisance.

The Weird: Nothing odd this week


Currently Craving/Avoiding:

Avoiding: Sugary foods, handling raw meat

Craving: Pickle spears, salty foods like chips


Doctor Updates:
Great appointment on December 1! Baby is healthy, I am healthy (doctor said despite my medication, I'm having a "normal" pregnancy...so nice to hear the words normal since I'm not used to it!) Next appointment is on December 15th for my glucose test to see if I have gestational diabetes, as well as a check up. Then I have another appointment on December 29th for another ultrasound to check the baby's growth, as well as see if we can finally see his right ventricular output and where his umbilical cord inserts (they weren't able to see that last time so couldn't sign off on the ultrasound)...hopefully he cooperates! Definitely looking forward to another ultrasound to see our little boy!


The Weekly Belly Bump: Here's the 24 week belly! I feel like I've stagnated a bit in growth, which I think means I'm in for a growth spurt. My belly button seems to be slowly disappearing (it's folding up on itself!)



The disappearing belly button!

And just for fun...some comparison shots:

This is 8 weeks, 16 weeks and now 24 weeks...I miss my skinny belly!
:)

No comments: