December 29, 2009

Happy day...

So we went in for our OB appointment today and had an ultrasound to check his growth. Ultrasound techs were great and said everything is right on target and he's the size he's supposed to be at this point. And he weighs 2.5 lbs! Which we were surprised about because the Babycenter.com updates I've been getting have been saying he should be just at 2 lbs. So right now, he's a big boy! I'm sure it'll all even out by the time he comes.

My OB said that his body is measuring right on track at 27 weeks and 3 days (which is where I am) and his legs are measuring just a little less than that (which he said is probably just genetics since I'm short legged!) and his head is measuring a full week ahead at 28 weeks and 3 days! So we're attributing the 1/2 lb to his head size right now. Doctor also said that he looks like he has a little hair too! We definitely think he'll be born with a full head of hair. We got a cute profile shot, and it's funny because he really looks like a little person in there. I think he has my "baby" profile. :)

He kept putting his hands up to his face. He was super active and it was funny to see the kicks and punches as well as feel them at the same time. Like stereo. But the doc and ultrasound techs said everything is right on track, healthy and looking good. And most importantly, I'm healthy and looking good. Again I was given "boring" as a diagnosis. Music to my ears! We did get some good looks at his heart and it was good...130 beats per minute and his ventricles were "clapping" away (I always think it looks like hands clapping when I see hearts on ultrasound - and I have a lot of practice looking at my own!)

When we saw the doctor, he measured my uterus (which is now caught up and measuring at 27 weeks, so I probably had a growth spurt a few weeks ago) and then we listened to the heart. Sounded good, and then he had me put my hands on my pelvic area and showed me where the head was. Tito got to feel it too which was cool. So he's head down right now (and we'd like him to remember that position in about 12 weeks when he's ready to come out) and sideways with his back/spine pointing towards my right side and his arms and legs on the left side.

And we did get confirmation that he is definitely a boy (sometimes you never know!) Good thing since we've definitely latched onto the "boy" stuff as far as clothes, gear, etc. I had to get a Rhogam shot (in the hip - ouch!) as I'm Rh negative, and when he's born they'll test his blood and if he's Rh positive then he will get a shot of Rhogam and I'll get another one. But if he's negative like me then no more shots. It didn't hurt that bad but it wasn't the most pleasant feeling. Big needle.

My doctor said that ideally he'd like to predict when I'm going to spontaneously go into labor and get me in two days before to induce. But alas, he's not that good yet. So he'll keep checking my cervix and see where things are progressing and then decide what to do. He doesn't want to induce me and then have me in labor for three days because that means a. a lot of pain for me and possible stress to the baby, and b. being off my anti-coagulation medication for three or more days could put my heart at risk. I did find out that as I get a little closer to my due date that I'll be switching to another medication for my anti-coagulation which I'll have to take three times a day instead of the two I do now. A little bit more painful, but worth it if it keeps me and the baby healthy. Anything is better than a PIC line right now!

So overall a great appointment! Looking forward to the next 11 weeks and what they bring!

No comments: