October 29, 2009

Tomorrow is the day!

Tomorrow is the day we find out if I've got a baby boy or baby girl brewing inside me. Our anatomy scan! We're tried to peek before hand, but having no knowledge of what things look like on an ultrasound can only make guesses.

My guess is girl, Tito's is boy. I think we're guessing what we're most comfortable with. :)

We might have been able to see on Sunday when I ended up in the ER with food poisoning (and they ended up keeping me overnight for observation due to my health and heart history - but all was ok with me and especially the baby) had it not been for the poor probably 1st year resident who was my doc. He did an ultrasound to check the heartrate and make sure everything was ok. Bad thing was that he'd ok'd me for fluids, and especially soda, about an hour before. About 20 minutes before he did the ultrasound, I'd finished about 12oz of Diet Coke. So when he put that wand on my stomach, what he saw was a little baby, rocking out, hopped up on caffeine (making mommy proud..) :)

He also, we think, was doing what was about his 3rd ultrasound. Reason for thinking this? Because he pushed SO HARD on my stomach. As in, the wand was pushing my belly down quite a bit. I think he was attempting to touch the baby with the wand from the outside and get it to high five him or something. He kept complaining the baby was moving too much, he couldn't get a heartrate, etc. Tito thought it was moving so much because it was trying to avoid the ultrasound wand and the pushing. He joked afterwards that the kid was doing some "Matrix" moves in there avoiding the wand (a la Keanu Reeves dodging bullets...)

I think he either pushed the wand between my abdominal muscles or pretty darn close to it at that point because afterwards, I felt like I had some bruising on my stomach! He finally got the heartrate (133bpm) and we saw the baby too. Of course, he didn't turn the screen, so I got a side view of the ultrasound. Tito was looking straight on and said he couldn't tell if there were any definitive "boy" parts or "girl" parts because he didn't really know what he was looking at. He did recognize the head though, which was good. :) After the resident left, Tito said he was thisclose to punching him out because he thought he was hurting me and/or the baby. Luckily our ultrasound experience did not come to blows.

So we will know officially tomorrow...any last minute guesses?

1 comment:

Kate Wilke said...

You've gone pink, eh? Is this in commemoration of breast cancer month? Just like all the NFL players wearing pink shoes and gloves.

I'm going to put in a wager for a little girl. I don't know why, but that's my guess. Are you offering cash prizes?

I like checking your blog, Kate--it usually makes me laugh and is a good break from work. Something to break up the day since I don't like to check celebrity sites or CNN (which would probably be more educational, but less fun).