October 9, 2009

16 weeks!

How Far Along: 16 weeks or 4 months along (168 more days to go!)

What "They" Say About Our Baby's Development: Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double its weight and add inches to its length. Right now, it's about 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and weighs 3 1/2 ounces. Its legs are much more developed, its head is more erect than it has been, and its eyes have moved closer to the front of its head. Its ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of its scalp has begun, though its locks aren't recognizable yet. Its even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, its heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.


Weekly Food Comparison: An avocado...never had one but good size comparison

The Good: No more sickness!


The Bad:
Round ligament pain...random shooting pains in my abdomen, leg sockets, left arm, etc. Don't know when they're going to happen, but I've been told that they're normal. Just due to hormones, body stretching and ligaments loosening to prepare for labor and the growth of this baby. Also I'm in need of a facial as my skin is SO dry! And my hair is not full and bouncy, but more limp and not shiny. I'm pampering myself this weekend for my birthday with a haircut and maybe getting some highlights. Hopefully this will help!

The Weird: Cold all the time. I used to have hot flashes at the beginning of this pregnancy (a sign of what's to come in about 15-20 years?) but now I'm cold all the time.

Currently Craving/Avoiding:

Avoiding: Sweet stuff (really bothers my stomach)

Craving: Carbs!


Doctor Updates:
Heard the heartbeat for the first time on Tuesday! Even though it was for just a second, I heard it! The little "gusha, gusha, gusha" sound was the sweetest sound I've heard! Everything is looking good...my doc said my blood pressure was down, as was my cardiac output (amount of blood I'm pushing through my arteries) which is good. However, they are going to be monitoring me like a hawk for preeclampsia signs and warnings. We're hoping this isn't an issue and will do everything to keep this baby "cooking" in my belly for as long as possible!


The Weekly Belly Bump: Definitely bigger in my mind...



1 comment:

sarahmarie0730 said...

you have never had an avocado??? really? girl, you are missing out! they are one of my favorite foods!

cute baby bump!