January 25, 2010

Nursery progress/weekend update

Had a great, albeit busy weekend! Saturday, we had our last childbirth class. It was very informative (we had discussion about c-sections, use of forceps, vacuums, epidurals, etc. as well as breast feeding) and we both learned a lot.

We went home, got some food, and then I headed out to get some "baby items". I stopped by Target and as I was going through the baby section, found a crib skirt on clearance that matched our colors, so I snagged that, and also saw our crib mattress (that I was going to get via Walmart.com, but the mattress was cheaper at Target, so I snagged it (I'm sure it must have been a funny sight to see a 7.5 month pregnant lady dragging a mattress into a cart and then pushing it around the store!) I got home just in time before Tito headed out to a get together with his soccer team, so he could help me bring everything into the house and down the hall to the nursery.

For some reason, instead of relaxing and watching tv that night while Tito was out, I became ambitious and decided to put together the dresser we'd bought last weekend at Ikea. Tito was going to do it on Sunday but for some reason, I couldn't wait. My organizational bug was hitting me I guess, so I spent about 2 hours with the Ikea directions (which were somewhat annoying because there were 5 pieces that all looked the same except the color (three were stained and two weren't) and it didn't indicate which one went where, so I had to guess, and thankfully guessed right!) :) Put the dresser together, got it into the right position on the wall, and took the clothes from the closet and filled it up, organized it with some bins and put the mattress in the crib (after discovering that sheets are a pain in the butt to change on a crib because I literally had to lift the mattress out of the crib to put the fitted sheet on because of where the sides of the crib hit me...I need a stool for that room for this purpose alone!) and also discovering that the mattress pad I'd bought awhile ago didn't fit the mattress (it's made for a much shallower mattress, so we'll use it in the PNP when he's a bit bigger but the way I would have had to have put it on the mattress the sides wouldn't have covered all the way down to the bottom of the mattress, and the material bunched which wasn't safe) and then put the changing pad cover on the changing pad, and put the pad on the dresser. I was very proud of myself but exhausted, so I went to bed after that.

Woke up on Sunday morning and went to breakfast with Tito at IHOP, went to Target to look at seat protectors for when we install the carseat in his car, and then came home and watched Monsters Vs. Aliens (cute), then went to church, then came home and while I made dinner, Tito put up shelves in our bedroom and the baby's room, and hung some art.

We're still in search of a side table for next to his dresser to hold a lamp and extra supplies, but then we're done with the furniture for his room. Also waiting on two pieces of art (one from each of my brothers) which will hang in there, and we'll get some more accessories and supplies over time. It's nice that this is close to being "done"! :) I also started working on the mobile last night and have about three pieces done, as well as the dowels which it will all hang on painted. Will work on it throughout the week and take some photos to post later this week/weekend hopefully!

Here are some photos of the room so far:


As you enter the room - obviously his stroller and car seat are there temporarily. Will be hanging the mobile above his bed, the name banner above it on the wall, and to the right of the bed, over the shelves we'll put the piece of art my older brother is painting.


As you enter the room and turn to the right. Glider/rocker, and changing area. We'll be hanging the art my younger brother is painting (airplanes) over his dresser so he can look at it when we change him.


Close up of the "art" I made (Days of the week in English) and one of the shelves, which currently has one of my first baby toys (the wooden mouse thing) and an airplane stuffed toy I bought for Tito back when we were dating.


The other piece of "art" I made hanging on the other wall - days of the week in Spanish


Close up of the other shelf currently - an aviator bear that Tito's younger brother gave to me one Christmas when we lived in FL, and a name placard my parents gave to us this year for Christmas (says his name, Santiago, and that it means "Handsome and Cheerful")



Dresser (that I proudly assembled alone!) and changing area


Top drawer of dresser...currently has some diapers. Will house any more "supplies" and has empty organizing boxes in there right now for that!


2nd drawer...lots of pants and onesies organized by size that I've picked up, or that were gifts from family


Third drawer, filled with bins full of baby socks and shoes, hats, sweaters and more!

No comments: