May 24, 2011

Traveling with children Part II

I just found this out today so I thought I would share - if you plan on having your stroller with you at the gate, check your airlines policies for checking plane side. We are flying American this summer and they just changed their policy so that any stroller over 20 lbs has to be checked at the ticket counter (with no fee, thankfully!) This made a huge difference for us, as we were planning on bringing our BOB jogging stroller with us, but it's over 20lbs, and I don't trust the ticket agents to treat it as gently as I would getting it to the plane and luggage pickup. So we'll be bringing our Chicco Liteway stroller instead which we can check plane side.

This is good to know even if you don't have a jogging stroller because a lot of the travel stroller systems are larger strollers that are over 20 lbs. So if you don't want to risk having your stroller knocked around (unless you have a carrying case for it), then I would suggest bringing a smaller stroller (umbrella if you want, or something slightly more sturdy) that you can check plane side.

We bought the Chicco Liteway about 6 months ago, and LOVE it. It's similar to the Maclaren stroller that's so popular, but less money, and the seat folds all the way down to a lying position, which was essential for Santi when we used it for him at the zoo in San Diego, because he fell asleep and we were able to just lay him down without waking him! It's also great because you can literally fold it with one hand. I know a lot of strollers say that but this one you really can. On many occasions I've been holding Santi on one side and been able to fold the stroller and pick it up and put it in my car without putting him down. It weighs about 15 lbs and is great and has a great large sunshade with a peekaboo top so you can see the baby while the shade is fully open. I can't say enough good things about this stroller!

Ok, there's my plug - happy traveling this summer!

No comments: