November 6, 2009

20 weeks!

How Far Along: 20 weeks (140 more days to go!) I'm at the halfway mark!

What "They" Say About Our Baby's Development: Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.) He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

Weekly Food Comparison: A banana...good potassium!

The Good: Lots of moving and kicking, especially when I drive (like he's happy I'm headed home from work!) and when Tito rubs my belly with lotion (he seems to know when it's Tito because when I do it he barely wiggles!)


The Bad:
Still more tired than I'm used to...

The Weird: Nothing too odd this week


Currently Craving/Avoiding:

Avoiding: String cheese (I don't know if I'll ever like this again)

Craving: Carbs, chocolate


Doctor Updates:
Found out last week we're having a boy! Ultrasound was good, all things looked good, although I'll have to have another one sooner than 28 weeks because they weren't able to get a good view of the umbilical cord insertion or his right heart ventricle. They assume it's all ok though, just that he didn't cooperate and roll over. Also found out my chances of having a Down's Syndrome baby are 1 in 1800 and a spina bifida baby are 1 in 2500. So good odds of a healthy little one! Also found out that I'm Rh negative, so in about 6 weeks I'll have to get a Rhogam shot to protect me and the baby from crossing blood just in case he's Rh positive. They'll test his blood at birth to see if I'll need a booster shot as well.


The Weekly Belly Bump: Here's the 20 week belly!



No comments: