August 31, 2009

Food Poisoning = no fun

So I am home today working away because I woke up at 3am to go to the bathroom and with a horrible gurgling stomach. For the next three hours I was throwing up and more. Not fun. I'm still not 100% better but managed to get down two English muffins and some apple juice. I'm hoping I feel better soon. It's very hard to not only be nauseous from pregnancy but also nauseous from illness.

I'm fairly certain it's not a bug and food poisoning because I'd felt "fine" (aside from the normal nausea that's been around for the last 7 weeks) all weekend. I was craving pizza yesterday after watching "Mystic Pizza" (I always crave pizza after watching that movie!) and we ended up in Lynnwood because Tito had to get his prescription for contact lenses. So we went to a place called Alfy's Pizza because we'd never been and a friend I know likes it.

Something should have tipped me off about this place. Maybe when we walked in and no one was there to greet us but then I looked over and saw a worker re-stocking the salad bar with no gloves on (he actually dumped a huge pile of olives into a bucket and it was overflowing so he was pushing it down with his hands. I didn't have salad for that reason even though I wanted some veggies. Or maybe it was when I saw one of the chefs delivering pizza to another table with a dirty bowl in his hand. And then a few minutes later when he delivered our pizza, he had the same dirty bowl in his hand, which I assumed was his as he had the fork from the bowl in his mouth. I'm not kidding. I just looked at him, but at that point I was starving and didn't think anything of it.

The pizza was sub-par to say the least. Think cafeteria pizza. In my opinion, it was really doughy (I like thin crust), the cheese was weird (I like a cheese that is melted and when you pull away the slice of pizza from the others there is a trail of cheese left), and the sauce was way too saucy (I'm really particular about my sauce because I don't really like tomatoes that much so I don't like sauce that overpowers the rest of the pizza.) Also the pepperonis (which I cleared to eat with my OB) didn't seem cooked all the way. And they were too spicy. Like they were government issued pepperonis or "fake pepperoni" instead of real, "crispy when cooked" pepperonis. So I ended up picking them off and eating just the cheese.

We came home and watched a movie ("Vicky, Christina Barcelona" which was good) and then went to bed. But I woke up at 3am feeling so sick. Needless to say, I will never return to Alfy's Pizza again, no matter if it's another branch or my life depends on it. I guess I'm spoiled by my thin crust, perfect cheese and pepperoni mix from Pat's Pizza back during college. It's a good thing that place does not exist over on the West Coast, as I would eat it every day during this pregnancy. When we went back to Maine in June, Tito and I ate there twice. :) It's so good. For out here in Seattle, we'll stick with Pagliacci's. I guess I'm a pizza snob now. Oh well, it beats getting sick.

1 comment:

Lesli said...

I know Pagliacci's. Eric and I ate there when we were in Bellevue! Alfy's sounds disgusting.