January 9, 2009

I smell something burning...

Last night, while I was happily looking through my new Self magazine on the couch, one of my cats jumped on the arm of the couch in an attempt to cuddle with me. I looked back at the table between our two sofas where we had three mini candles burning. She leaned down to smell them but not too closely. I looked back at her and said "Careful..."

Well, not two minutes later, I look back and my cat is facing me and I smell something. I look at her tail which is hanging over the three candles and singeing the hair on it! I grab her and she just hops out of my arms...I finally catch up to her and run my hand over her tail and a bunch of burned hair comes off in my hand. It's not near the skin at all, just the ends, but now she's got a few burned parts of hair that's missing and a little shorter than any others. Stupid cat!

And let me tell you, nothing smells worse than singed hair! Our whole house smelled and I had to open up the doors to air it out, and then she still smelled about 5 hours later!

4 comments:

Me said...

Oh poor kitty! That's happened to Chum on his belly hair and yes, that smell is nasty!!! Almost as bad as using the pedipaws on Wrig's nails. That smells disgusting too.

Gberger said...

I hope your poor kitty recovers soon! The way you told that story made me LOL...only because I could see it coming, with the way you led into it; good story-telling there.
Aren't cats fun? Ours give us so many grins, and so much affection. Have you seen the Cats in Sinks site? It's a scream.
Blessings to you and your sweet cat, and hopes for a smooth recovery.

Sense said...

wow you're lucky that your cat didn't run around in a frenzy, catching everything else on fire!!

wow, i didn't know that cats were a fire hazard. :)

Lesli said...

I used to have a cat appropriately named Snoopy who singed part of his whiskers off on a candle!