January 7, 2009

Ah, the Seattle bus...

As some people have told me, I have the best bus stories. Probably because I ride it every dang day for a minimum of 45 mins. Usually something happens to keep me entertained for part of the ride. This morning didn't disappoint.

7:40am - go out to bus stop in front of my complex to wait for the bus to take me the 1/2 mile down the street to my second bus stop.

7:55am - no bus still, it's late and I think I'm going to miss my other bus

8:00am - look up, bus is coming. Kind of fast. Really fast. I wave, which usually breaks me out of my "invisible" state and allows the bus drivers to see me (the fact that I'm invisible is the only explanation, because apparently I can't be seen standing at a bus stop in a black jacket carrying a big pink umbrella)

8:01am - bus FLIES past me. I keep waiting, thinking it'll stop a few feet away. It doesn't. I start running to the light where it's stopped. See the bus stop for a second, then when I get held up at a light, it moves on.

8:15am - get to the end of the street after walking/running the 1/2 mile to catch bus #2.

8:25am - next bus comes (10 minutes late.) Get on this crowded bus and sit in the middle while a young teenage couple, OBVIOUSLY on some sort of drugs proceeds to sit down near me. I now have a front row seat to a lesson in taking drugs on the bus (just prescription pills, but I became suspicious when the already intoxicated couple started crushing up the pills...)

8:30am - Teenage boy discovers someone (his mom? Sister? Caregiver?) has taken one of his pills. He calls her and curses her out for taking his meds. She tells him (I hear this all as he put the phone on speaker) that she's keeping the pills and will give them to him as needed because she doesn't want him to get high off of them. Nice.

8:35am - Teenage boy and teenage girl start cursing this woman out after they hang up the phone.

8:40am - still cursing her out, man from front of bus gets up and tells them that he would "appreciate it if they watched their language." He goes to sit back down.

8:41am - couple proceeds to curse out the guy. Telling him he's not the bus driver, daring him to get them kicked off the bus. This is said in slurred speech with eyes almost rolling back in their heads because they are so messed up. Man gets up to confront them, then heads to tell the bus driver...

8:43am - I have to get off the bus! Still don't know what happened, but it made the mins between bus stops pass quickly!

The rest of my ride goes quickly and is uneventful. I love Seattle and the bus system. :)

1 comment:

Me said...

I'm telling you it's the lack of Vitamin D here. I'm not kidding, in all the places I've lived I have NEVER in my life encountered so many whack jobs. It's just not normal.