November 14, 2008

Weird...

Last night, while waiting for the bus on an otherwise normal street corner in Ballard, and clutching my Ipod to my body while attempting to watch last week's episode of "Gossip Girl", I looked up and saw a guy walking toward me on the street.

As I was standing alone, I moved closer to the entrance to the apartment building behind me, while keeping an eye out for my bus. The guy walked toward me, heading up the street, casually flipping something in his hands. At first, I thought he had unusual, long paint scrapers.

As he got closer, and proceeded to glare at me while still walking past me, I realized he was holding long machete type knives. Three of them. And casually flipping one around by the handle in his hand.

I made a not-so-obvious step backwards towards the apartment building and watched him walk up the street. Until he was far enough away where I realized that he could not throw anything at me, I stayed tucked into the entrance to the building.

Luckily, my bus came about three seconds later and I was able to hop on...I have no idea what that guy was doing or why he had those things on him. And the weird thing is he looked mostly normal...dressed in some khakis, a dress shirt and jacket, listening to an Ipod and just casually walking down the street holding three machete-type knives!

This is actually the safest bus stop for me to wait at because if I walked down to the main street in Ballard, there are tons of homeless, crazy people who wait by my bus stop. But, on the other hand, it's in front of a ton of businesses, so there would be a lot of witnesses if something happened to me...at the stop I currently wait at, there's no one around and only a small bar down the street. Maybe I'm rethinking where I wait for the bus...or at least maybe re-think leaving work a bit earlier so I'm not waiting in the dark for the bus...

3 comments:

Sense said...

after being mugged, I'd be totally freaked out too!!

that's a horrible story--be safe!

Me said...

Ok that's really freaky. I have never seen so many crazies in my life! Today I was eating lunch in Capitol Hill and this woman comes in and sets up all these trinkets on her table and as she is playing with each of them, she SCREAMS, and a second later, starts laughing hysterically. The bizarre thing is, no one else in the cafe seemed to flinch.

And last week I was screamed at by a homeless person in the U district. He called me a c*ck sucking wh*re while I was walking to my car, in the rain, in the dark. Definitely not a very safe feeling.

Unknown said...

I don't really like Capitol Hill. At all. I've taken salsa lessons there and was always freaked out by either the people walking the streets or the people riding the bus up there when I had to take the bus to lessons. I have sat across from many a crack addict looking for their next fix (all fidgety and talkative and crazy), or recent parollees, or homeless crazy people. UDistrict is kind of the same, except at UVillage and near the hospital. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot. Because in the UVillage, not only do you have the crazy people, but you have the rowdy college kids (did you hear about how a frat house exploded the other night?)