June 18, 2012

Paper Dot Mobile

So before Gaby was born, I decided I wanted to make a mobile for her room. I'd found several on Pinterest that I liked, but they were usually linked to Etsy, and I knew I could make one easily myself. I'd made this one for Santi before he was born, and I wanted something handmade (by me!) for her as well.



So I started looking online and I found a paper "dot" mobile to be the style that I liked the most. I went and grabbed some supplies (jump rings, needle nosed pliers, tiny hole punch (the one I have punches just a little larger than a pin hole) wooden dowels (12" long), and paper (I just bought 8 sheets of scrapbook paper (12" x 12") in the colors I wanted (pink, green and chocolate brown.)



I started by taking the jump rings and the needle nosed pliers and separating the rings.



When I was done, the rings looked like this:



I placed the rings on the dowels in four different spots (evenly placed on the dowel.)



After squeezing the first ring onto the dowel, I added a second ring below to hang the paper dots from:



When this was done, this was how the dowels looked:



I then took the pieces of paper (which I'd already punched into holes from the original 12" x 12" paper) and lined them up by size and took the tiny hole punch and punched a hole in the top and bottom of the circle.



After finishing punching the holes, I lined the circles up in the pattern I wanted.



I then followed the same procedure with the jump rings and pulled them open, but instead of attaching them to the dowel, I placed the rings in the holes punched in the paper circles and squeezed them shut so the paper could still move a bit but wouldn't fall off. I did this with the whole line of circles all the way down.





After attaching all of the circles together, I attached them to the dowel with the top jump ring.

 
I repeated this with all four lines of circles and attached them all to the dowel. When I was done, I joined the two dowels together with a ribbon (wrapped around the two) and used it to hang the piece with. Here is the finished product:
 

And I'd have to say Gaby enjoys looking at this mobile hanging over her crib! I had a banner with her name on it made as well using the same paper so it all matches.

 


No comments: