June 22, 2012

House Hunters is fake? (Yeah, note the sarcasm...)




So recently there was an article in the Huffington Post about House Hunters being fake. The woman quoted in the article was someone who had appeared on the show and said the whole process was a lie, that she'd already purchased a home when they filmed and that the other houses they toured were their friends homes.

You can view that article here.

While this shouldn't be surprising to anyone, it's especially not surprising to me. Why? Because I contacted one of the producers of the show via the TLC website last June when we were starting the process of house hunting. The producer had me answer questions about when we would be closing on our home, and what overlap there would be between moving out of our apartment and into our new home. She told me specifically that they would only work with us once we had a closing date. We set up an interview by phone, and then they ended up canceling when I revealed to them that we were painting and doing some work on the house since we had a month overlap between moving out of our apartment and into the house. I also mentioned that we'd begun packing at our apartment and moving things over a little at a time. The producer said specifically that they wouldn't be able to film with things moved over or any work being done on the house. It needed to appear that even though we owned the house, that they would be filming in a home that we were considering to purchase.

I was a little disappointed to find out that this "reality" show was so staged, but it made sense in the long run especially considering how long some home purchases can take, and it would be very expensive to have production take place over a matter of possible weeks or months.

So I guess I can say I knew this before the lid was blown off this "secret" by this show participant! Now where's my article? :)

No comments: