January 26, 2014

Kawasaki Disease Awareness Day



Many of you who read this blog know that I had Kawasaki Disease when I was 15 years old, back in 1993. Because I was "older" than the typical KD patient (most kids who get it are 5 and under) I was first thought to have the flu, then another virus, then meningitis before being admitted into the hospital in isolation and finally, 11 days after onset, I was diagnosed with KD and treated with gamma globulin. Thankfully that worked for me and I spent a week in the hospital recovering.

However, because of my late diagnosis, I was left with multiple giant sized (8mm-11mm) coronary aneurysms on my left an right coronary arteries. I have taken blood thinners and beta blockers since I was 15, and have had 4 small (non-damaging) heart attacks since 1996.

In spite of this, I listened to the advice given to me by Dr. Jane Newburger at Boston Children's Hospital who told me to remain active (but avoid contact sports due to complications with the blood thinners.) So I was a runner in high school, a cheerleader in high school and college, and an active gym goer.

I grew up, got married to my college sweetheart, and, with the help of a perinatologist and my cardiologist monitoring me since prior to becoming pregnant, had two healthy children (a boy, Santiago born 3/15/10 and a girl, Gabriela born 1/28/12.) There were slight complications with my c-sections but mostly due to my blood thinners.

Since having the kids, I've remained active, took up running again, completed a half marathon and have most recently become a barre fitness instructor (teaching 3-4 classes a week.)

KD Awareness is a part of my everyday life. I joined the board of the Kawasaki Disease Foundation 6 years ago and we've been working to raise funds to create a diagnostic test for KD for awhile now. A diagnostic test would help prevent so many children from having the heart complications created by late diagnosis of KD. Please read the info below and visit kdfoundation.org for more info and to donate.

Dear Friends and Family of the Kawasa      
The Kawasaki Disease Foundation's 4th National KD Awareness Day is today - Sunday, January 26, 2014! Please help to spread the word about KD by talking to people you meet, friends and family.

The key is to tell people about KD - what it is, who it can affect, and most importantly, the signs and symptoms to look for as well as where to go if they have questions (www.kdfoundation.org).
 

You can also participate through our $26 on the 26th campaign. Donate $26 (or any amount) and all funds raised go towards KD research!

We're on a mission to raise $2,600,000 for Kawasaki disease research which could help save precious hearts, so please donate $26 on the 26th and/or invite your friends and family to contribute in any amount they are able to. Every $1 gets us closer to solving the many unknowns of KD, so please donate today by clicking here.

We thank you for helping raise awareness of KD on this 4th National Kawasaki Disease Awareness Day and for considering a donation to the Kawasaki Disease Foundation. Even in the absence of a medical break-through, precious lives can be saved through education and awareness.

With much gratitude and appreciation,

The Kawasaki Disease Foundation


 
Donate $26 on the 26th for KD Research!
 
Join us online on the 26th to help raise additional awareness for Kawasaki Disease. Share your pictures, status updates and tell us what you're doing to raise KD awareness in your town. Follow the conversation:

Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/kawasakidiseasefoundation
Twitterhttps://twitter.com/theKDF 
Instagram-http://instagram.com/kdfoundation
Hashtags: #KDAwareness, #KDFoundation & #KawasakiDisease
   
Forward to Friend
Copyright © 2014 Kawasaki Disease Foundation, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Kawasaki Disease Foundation

No comments: