August 13, 2012

Baby earrings

So we decided to get Gaby's ears pierced this weekend. I didn't get mine done until I was 11 years old, but I thought about it and realized I'd wanted them earlier. I also remember being in middle school and being jealous of classmates who'd had their ears pierced as babies. I was such a girly girl from a very young age, perhaps because I had two brothers. Don't get me wrong, I would play with them outside, in the dirt, and play sports with them, but I also really loved dolls, and reading fashion magazines and things like Teen, Seventeen, etc. from when I was really young. But I didn't get makeup until my 13th birthday, and then it was things like clear mascara (who even knew they made that?), clear nail polish, etc.

I really just wanted to be able to use a curling iron, hairspray and makeup early on, but wasn't able to  because my parents wouldn't let me. With Gaby, I'm not about to push her into these things (there will be no baby beauty pageants in our future!), but I'm going to let her get pedicures as a treat with me when she's younger, or manicures, or wear makeup (within reason) if she wants to when she's in middle school. And now she has her ears pierced, so she can wear earrings, and we'll buy her jewelry on our trips to Peru and for birthdays and holidays.

Here's our little peanut with her new bling:












http://distilleryimage9.instagram.com/dd149f1ce4d511e19bac22000a1cfde9_7.jpg  

And one more of her in my favorite dress which I call her cupcake dress. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate,

Was searching for my GF’s blog and came across yours. Loved your pictures of your little girl's ears pierced. This was a perfect age to do when mommmy can care for them and she'll just grow up with them thinking they are part of her. She is totally adorable with those CZS in her ears. I think you were a super smart mommy wanting it done early.

She'll thank you later for the “gift of pierced ears” as an infant! Like you, I was envious of other girls in preschool with earrings and wish my mom had pierced my ears as an infant.

Our ped also encouraged to do it when mommy could care for them. I think babies and little girls with pierced ears are adorable. It celebrates their femininity and femaleness. Like you, I kept seeing babies and little girls with earrings and how cute they were with little gold studs in their ears poking through their hair.

Our ped gave me some suggestions for moms having their infant dd’s ears pierced as well as for “Tips for moms having their dd’s ears pierced/Care of Newly Pierced Ears.”

If your or any other moms thinking about it and want to do it now or would like them, write me an e-mail.

Angie
angietune@hotmail.com